Frequently Asked and Answered Questions
1. How do you ship items and how much does it cost?
Shipping is $2.99 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional item.
We usually ship First Class or Priority Mail. Local orders for in-stock items often will arrive in a day or two. We often get orders to California in three days if it's in stock when you place it. If you order a big box of books, we might ship it Media Mail, but that usually adds only one day to the delivery time.
Your order might come in several shipments if that will get them to you more quickly. There is no extra charge for this service.
In stock items typically ship within 24 hours.
Most pre-orders are shipped to arrive on release date. Sometimes we are a day early or late. Of course, if you order something we don't have the day before it is supposed to be released, it will take a few days longer.
2. Do you ship to North Korea, Freedonia, Panem, Narnia, or Canada?
We only ship within the U.S. at this time. We especially apologize to our Canadian neighbors. We want to make sure our website is great before we expand outside the U.S.
3. There was a problem with my order.
4. Is in-store pickup available?
Yes. If our site says something you want is in stock, call us and we will hold it until you come in. You don’t need to pay until you pick it up.
If you want to pick it up in another another Independent location, call that location and ask them to get it for you. You can also e-mail Independentonline@gmail.com or use our customer service form to tell us what you want and where you would like it to be sent. Transfers between stores normally take 1-3 days.
5. What is your return policy?
If the item we sent you was defective or not what you ordered, we will replace the item and reimburse you for shipping it back to us.
If you changed your mind and don’t want what you ordered and you haven’t opened it yet, we will refund your purchase price, but not the shipping fee.
If you don’t like what you bought and it is not longer sealed and still in good condition, you can sell it back for cash or store credit at one of our locations. Please see item 2 under the "Real World store questions" section below for our trade-in policy.
6. Can I use my Frequent Buyer Points on Independent.com?
Yes, as long as the e-mail address on your Frequent Buyer Card matches the e-mail address you used to set up your Independent.com account.
7. I have a gift certificate/card from one of your stores. Can I use it online?
Not at this time. Sorry!
8. I have a gift certificate/card from one of your stores but don't know what the remaining balance is. How can I find out how many gold doubloons I have left?
If you have a receipt from the last purchase made with the gift certificate/card then you can find your remaining balance at the very bottom of it. If you have not made a purchase yet or do not have the most recent receipt, give one of our stores a call or ask an associate next time you stop in. We'll be more than happy to let you know!
9. In what condition will the pre-owned items I purchase arrive to me?
10. I am a reseller or I want multiples copies of a rare item.
11. When will you charge my credit card?
12. I buy vinyl.
13. How can I change my credit card?
Real World store questions
1. I want to talk to you about something.
We want to hear from you. Find out how to reach us on our Contact Us page.
2. I would like to trade-in or sell some of my old media. How does that work?
3. Will you donate a gift certificate to my charity?
We make those decisions locally. Please check with the manager of your favorite Independent store.